Presbyterian Church of Guyana

On September 23, 1815, Scotsmen in the new British Guyana resolved that it was desirable to establish a Presbyterian Church in the colony. An unfinished building, which was intended to become a church, was bought from the Dutch. The first minister Mr. Archibald Brown arrived on September 18, 1816, in Guyana. Many of the Scottish church members were slave owners; given the liberal stance of the Scots toward slaves, Africans were admitted into the congregation as soon as 1821.

Church planting proved successful, and the Presbyterian Church of Guyana was established on February 9, 1837, during a session in St. Andrew’s Kirk. By 1860 it had absorbed the remnant members of the NHK. The PCOG would be largely supported by government grants. Partial disestablishment began in 1899, but in 1945 a capital sum was paid to the PCOG and the state ceased its financial aid. On May 25, 1967, the Church of Scotland relinquished the Church, which then became an autonomous church.

Contact Information
Presbytery of Guyana
169 Thomas Street, Kitty
Georgetown
Guyana (South America)
Telephone: +592 226 3742
Fax: +592 226 5624
Email: [email protected]